welcome to the innernet's worst motorcycle periodical

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Dusting Off The Old Wheelie Monster



After ditching a few of my 'projects' last month, I have some extra scratch and some time and motivation to get my '90 sportster back on the road. I spun the mainshaft bearing in the right hand engine case last summer. Locked the rear wheel right up. Thankfully, the guy in the dually behind me locked his wheels up too and managed to spare me some rear-end action. He gave me a smoke and helped me heft the sporty out of the middle of the road. After the good samaritan split I was left to experience the laughs, jeers and one-fingered salutes of all the motorists I had just passed on the twisties out in bog country. It could have been worse. At least it didn't happen while white lining the fucking thing at 100 MPH.
Like an asshole, I cracked the wheel free and continued to ride the piss out of the thing. When I finally pulled the trans out, all I could see was the end of my riding season. I needed some major machine work done to the case half. J-B weld wasn't gonna cut it this time.
Thankfully, riding season resumed two weeks later and I parked the El Camino. I was blessed with a de-raked, thousand dollar Ironhead Sportster and forgot all about the Evo.
Fast forward one year later to the present day. A friend needs the same type of machine work done to his Drag Bike, so with the jigs set up already, maybe we can both catch a slight break on the cost of the machining. There is already a small local crew that thrash their Sportys on a dragstrip up in Maine once a month when it is warm. Another friend runs a front-engined dragster up there as well.
If I manage to get my ass in gear, I will be racing next summer for kicks. I just have to completely rebuild the engine and transmission. After all.. HOW HARD CAN IT BE?



Shit, I'm already halfway there! (yeah right)




Fuck, it was a rolling basket when I got it, and I already rebuilt the complete valve train and top end. This time I am going all-out. Maybe even a Led Sled hardtail section. Now's the time to do it! We here at CC do shit and go places! We make shit happen! THEN WE FUCKIN' BLOG ABOUT IT! ha ha Then we read our blog, cuz nobody else does! more hahaha